Holiday entertaining is lots of fun but also bring with it a greater risk of fire. You can keep your family and friends safe by adhering to 2 simple safety tips:
- Before you go to bed or leave the house, turn off all light stings and decorations.
- Before you leave the room or go to bed, blow out all lit candles.
There are also several other holiday entertaining safety tips suggested by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA):
- Test all of your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Keep matches and lighters up high, preferably in a locked cabinet.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking something on the stovetop.
- Ask smokers to smoke outside, and to keep their smoking materials with them, away from children.
- Provide large, deep ashtrays for smokers. Douse the cigarette butts with water before discarding.
So have fun over the holidays. AND stay safe!