Holiday decorating is lots of fun but also brings a greater risk of fire. You can keep your family and friends safe by adhering to 2 simple safety tips:
- Before you go to bed or leave the house, turn off all light stings and decorations.
- Before you leave the room or go to bed, blow out all lit candles.
There are also several other holiday decorating safety tips suggested by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA):
- Choose holiday decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Keep lit candles away from anything flammable, including your holiday decorations.
- Use the appropriate light strands—some are only for indoor or outdoor use, not both.
- Do NOT use any string of lights that has worn or broken cords, or loose bulb connections.
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions regarding how many light strands can be safely connected.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords don’t get damaged.
- Keep decorations away from windows or doors.